May 24, 2004

Just a few thoughts.

So, I'm totally wired on coffee because I acted like a normal person on Sunday and went to bed at night and woke up in the morning. For someone who works nights that's not a good idea. On top of that Harris Teeter (where I purchase staples) was closed for floor cleaning and I didn't have time to go anywhere else to get food. So, every time I felt hungry I'd just pour myself another cup of piping hot Sumatra or smoke a piping hot cigarette. Needless to say my hands are shaking more than Dick Cheney before his fifth deferment.

On the topic of coffee...I just heard about a study that said drinking more than one coffee a day could be good for the livers of people who drink too much alcohol. I guess, since it's a diuretic, it might clear the impurities out before they do as much damage as they might've.

I also read about an interesting report in a fairly recent issue of Playboy about salary levels of men and women. According to this study if men and women that have the same background, experiences and career decisions are compared in terms of salary a woman makes 98% of a man's salary. The article went on to say that women are more likely to make decisions that negatively impact their potential salaries. They're more likely to work in lower paying fields, less likely to complete higher education, less likely to work full time, more likely to take extended time off (prob. for childbirth and related conditions). Now don't get me wrong, I am definitely skeptical, but it's an interesting thought considering the widely held belief that women make 76% of a man's salary.

4 comments:

matt said...

Uh, John...the reason no one comments on yr blog is that it doesn't exist outside yr computer. I've tried it on several different computers and its never working.

Anonymous said...

"The article went on to say that women are more likely to make decisions that negatively impact their potential salaries."

I wonder to what that might be referring?
- SarahTheSquirrel

matt said...

Hey sarah,

They were referring to the examples I listed right after.

Anonymous said...

Ah

man, i wanna be just as competitive for the jobs i want as my male equivalent (heh, would you have guessed?)

Today I went out looking for a 2nd job with my friend's brother and he was telling me to ask for $blahblah and that that's what he started at and that the girls usually start at $0.25 less than that and to not let them shaft me.

BE aggressive! BE BE aggressive!
B-E A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E!

that's a cheer from my cheerleading days (in 2nd grade)
- SarahTheSquirrel.com